Cholesterol is a fatty substance (lipid) essential for life, since it is part of every cell in our body. Most cholesterol is produced in the liver (75%) and the rest (25%) It is obtained from food. When cholesterol in the blood rises too (hypercholesterolemia) it is bad for your health.

Is there a good and a bad cholesterol?

All cholesterol is transported in the blood by different particles (lipoproteins), There are different types, but the best known are the LDL and HDL. Las LDL (low density lipoproteins) They are responsible for transporting cholesterol from the liver to all body cells. Cholesterol bound thereto is called bad cholesterol because when low density is deposited on the walls of arteries and form the atheromatous plaques that clog gradually. HDL lipoproteins (high density lipoproteins) collect unused cholesterol in tissues and back to the liver for storage or disposal. Cholesterol attached thereto is called good cholesterol.

What is the cause of excess cholesterol in the blood?

Cholesterol disorders may be genetic or secondary origin to foods, sedentary lifestyle, alcoholism or some diseases such as hypothyroidism, Type II diabetes, obesity, anorexia nervosa etc., and treatment with some drugs.

What are the symptoms excess cholesterol in the blood?

Too much cholesterol can be deposited in the arteries that supply the heart (coronary), brain (carotids, spinal and brain) and in the lower extremities (iliac and femoral).

Will initially deposit of cholesterol in the arteries produces no symptoms, but with the passage of time may reduce the arterial lumen, decreasing blood flow that reaches the tissues. This can have serious consequences such as angina or myocardial infarction, a stroke and peripheral arterial disease of the lower limbs. Depending on the artery clogging.

How do I treat excess cholesterol?

Consultation with a nutritionist, avoiding overweight, increasing physical activity and if required besides the doctor will give lipid-lowering drugs (lipid lowering) to control total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL (slightly) and to increase HDL (good).

Because cholesterol is distributed in foods

Day by day we find doubts of not knowing where the enemy lurking cholesterol and often is not clear how food is present.

In principle it is important to know that esxiten 2 types of fats and saturated fats Unsaturated. saturated solid fats are naturally occurring, these are found in meats yellow, like chicken skin, cold cuts, sausage, chacinados (chorizo, salami, bologna), as viandada preserved meat or minced, Whole milk, cream, ice creams based, chocolates and bread based shortenings. These fats listed above are of animal origin and negatively affect the body bringing it to a hypercholesterolemia.

The Unsaturated fats non-animal origin are divided into 2 groups; monounsaturated fats that favor the reduction of cholesterol and are found in foods such as olive oil, canola oil and nuts (nuts, almonds, pistachios, etc.). They are also poly unsaturated fats also favor reducing cholesterol and s eùeden econtrar in fish oils, sunflower and soybean.

On the other hand we have the Trans fat, it is clear from the 2 previous groups, these being vegetable oils such as soybean or sunflower that have been modified in their molecular structure by a hydrogenation process, obtaining the famous fat margarines which are widely used in confectionery and bakery products or frying, these fats favor the development of cholesterol “slightly” (LDL) and they are so present in our daily meals.

It is known that fiber intake (in fruits, vegetables, grains, vegetables, etc.) attenuates the increase in blood glucose after meals when carbohydrates are consumed (starches), but we also consume this type of fiber before meals with saturated fats present as they produce drag effect in the intestinal lumen decreasing absorption thereof. With these contributions hopefully contribute to the formation of our daily dish.

Pull. Gabriela Tórtolo and Lic. Sandra Villarreal

Clinic

Put the Qenti

Ask our experts

[]
1 Step 1
Surname
Name
Phone area codeFor example if Buenos Aires: 011 47988866
Consultation
0 /
Previous
Next

Pin It on Pinterest