Osteopenia means "less bone", website is a previous step to the osteoporosis and occurs more frequently. It is a relatively mild decrease in bone mass if detected in early, visit this is controllable and can often be reversed. Osteoporosis means "porous bone", about it is a disease that causes a decrease in bone mass and strength and the fracture predisposes. It has no definite beginning, is silent; at times is usually visible when presented Hip fractures, wrist, the column, and in other cases when present symptoms of pain in hips, loss of height or curvature of the backbone, because the bones become weak and compressed.
Why osteoporosis occurs?
Bone is a dynamic tissue characterized by a constant turnover of calcium. Within this tissue's cells called osteoclasts that break down bone and draw calcium to carry blood to be used for other functions; while other cells called osteoblasts form bone calcium deposited again.
The formation of bone mass is performed in childhood and adolescence; and up to about the 30-35 years is generated and stored bone efficiently, being the formation of new bone faster than old bone destruction. From this age both men and women are losing more football of which is recovered, and bones become less density.
Who can develop osteoporosis?
The bone mass and its conservation depends on multiple factors:
- Age; in adulthood bones lose density.
- Gender and sex hormones; women have a greater chance of developing osteoporosis than men because they have less bone tissue and lose more rapidly due to the hormonal changes that occur at menopause.
- Bone structure and body weight; Thin body and small bone women, or those that are below a healthy weight.
- Drugs; corticosteroids and thyroid medication.
- Lifestyle; are less likely to have osteoporosis than nonsmokers, not consume alcoholic beverages, perform physical activity and incorporate into your daily eating an adequate amount of calcium.
- Heritage; predisposition to fracture can be inherited.
How I can prevent osteoporosis?
The body does not produce calcium thus be incorporated with the feed. An adult to rebuild and maintain strong bones need daily 1.000mg. Calcium, as well as phosphorus, magnesium, fluor, copper and vitamins D, C y A.
How I can cover these recommendations?
Consuming foods rich in:
Football; found in milk (milk, cheese, yogurt, ricotta, etc.), spinach, radicheta, broccoli, dried fruits, vegetables and sardines. Options to cover daily recommendation:
- 500 cc. milk, 200 cc. yoghurt, 30 gr. by salut cheese
- 300 cc. milk, 200 cc. yoghurt, 50 gr. by salut cheese, 30 gr. white cheese skimming
- 1 Actimel, 250 cc. milk, 200 cc. yoghurt, 50 gr. by salut cheese.
- 1 Actimel, 500 cc. milk, 150 cc. yoghurt, 50 gr. de ricota
Vitamin d; found in the liver, egg yolk and fortified dairy, in turn to obtain 15 minutes of sun exposure; vitamin absorption and allows binding of calcium.
Vitamin C; is present in citrus (mandarin, orange, grapefruit, lemon), chili, melon, broccoli, carrot and tomato.
Produces a protein synthesis (collagen) part of bones.
Vitamin A: as such is found in egg yolk, dairy, fatty fish, liver and as pro-vitamin A in fruits and vegetables yellow and orange like carrots, peach, damask, potato, melon and also in dark leafy greens.
Are there foods that may be involved in calcium absorption?
It is important to know that there are foods and beverages that interfere and others who favor the absorption of calcium.
Interfere with calcium absorption:
- Excess consumption of animal protein, salt, alcohol fiber.
- Fiber if not consumed in moderation interfere with intestinal absorption of calcium.
- Xanthines and caffeine- found in coffee, to, mate, cocoa and cola.
- To combine la leche with chocolate You can lose up to a third of the calcium ingested.
They promote the absorption of calcium:
- The adequate intake of vitamins mentioned above that of the vitamin d.
- The Sun exposure.
- The Physical activity contributes to the absorption of calcium and developing mass and bone density during the growth stage and helps the elderly to decrease the loss of bone mass, improve balance and coordination to prevent falls and prevent fractures; so that recommended at least daily during walking 30 minutes.
In conclusion we can say that if we make physical activity on a regular, We carefully exposing the skin to sunlight for 15 minutes daily, we feed and following a balanced diet nutrient cover the above recommendations; but we must remember the importance of consulting a professional for advice on how to meet the particular requirements of calcium, which varies according to age, SEX, the biological status (growth, pregnancy, etc.) or if bone pathology manifests.
Lic. Sandra Villarreal
Area of Nutrition
La Posada del Qenti