First, the Ministry of Health of the Nation published a guide for the treatment of obesity in adults based on evidence provided by hundreds of scientific studies that have evaluated benefits of different strategies. For the preparation of the guide, INTERVINO an interdisciplinary panel composed of experts estuvó as Alberto Cormillot, María Elena Torresani, Julio Montero y Monica Katz, inter alia. Here are the 10 basic guidelines that are recommended for losing weight without excessive effort:
1) Calculate it body mass index. This parameter is obtained by considering the weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. It was found that when the ratio rises above 27 adult, also significantly raises the risk of heart, cerebrovascular attacks, hypertension and diabetes type 2.
2) Measure the waist circumference. It is an indicator of the distribution of body fat. Fat deposits in the belly are more dangerous than those accumulated in the queue. "It is because fat deposited in the abdomen is metabolically more active. Leads to increased turnover of free fatty acids in the liver and increased formation of triglycerides. They act as triggers hyperglycemia, dislipemia e hiperinsulinismo ", advirtió TORRESANI, director of career specialization are in clinical nutrition from UBA. It is considered that there is a high risk if waist circumference is greater than 102 inches in men and 88 cm in women.
3) Receiving care from a team of professionals. You must be composed of nutritionists, professor of physical activity, psychologist and medical. "Every overweight person should go first to primary care, who will evaluate if you need to refer the case to a team of professionals ", Katz said the medical Monica, Favaloro University, when asked by Clarin. "In cases of patients who have not responded well to initial treatment or who have higher risks, are advised to be treated by an interdisciplinary team ", Caesar signal Casávola, chief of nutrition Hospital and president of the German Nutrition Society Argentina.
4) Getting targeted in 12 reduction months 5 to the 10 percent relative to the weight of overweight Start. Before you begin, the patient can talk with my potential factors that could lead to failure. "Fast descents are discouraged because muscle mass is lost, and a rebound occurs more easily than in the drops comfortable ", advirtió Casávola.
5) Identify the benefits of weight loss can bring health. "It is critical that the person be brought to think about why you want to lose weight. One reason is that it serves to control diseases like diabetes, hypertension, cancer, Sleep apneas, and cardiovascular disorders. Also to lose weight, better walking and suffer less joint pain. It greatly improves self-esteem ", Resalto Silvio Schraier, director of career specialists in nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires (UBA).
6) Follow an eating plan that suits the tastes of the person. "There is inadequate food, but inadequate amounts. For example, can not ban croissants, but should be consumed in limited quantities ", Schraier comments. "Every patient must follow specific goals, reach from tying shoelaces to walk a few blocks without gasping for breath ". It is important not peck food out of time schedules of food.
7) Practicing physical activity, especially aerobic. The best practice is fast walks 5 kph, but depends on the condition of each patient. There are very obese people who could start arm exercises.
8) Following a behavioral therapy. It may be useful for some patients with obesity. Used to change unhealthy habits, and prevent relapse. Through attention with a trained professional in behavioral therapy, the patient learns to use tools to build skills that enable it to achieve a healthy weight. You must join the plan balanced diet and physical activity. "Behavioral therapy helps patients to define goals in stages, make a commitment to the professional or with a group of patients, facilitates self, and makes expectations adapted to the reality of each patient are generated ", Explains Casávola.
9) In some patients, medication. The guidance of the Ministry of Health supports the use of orlistat drug. "In people with obesity and which adhere to conventional therapy, suggested consider-especially in hypertensive or diabetic, adding orlistat to 120 milligrams three times a day for a year to help lose weight slightly ", the guide points. However, Obesity specialists often also prescribe other products that may assist in the treatment.
10) In some cases resorting to bariatric surgery. Recommended only when conventional treatment did not work. Requires prior preparation of the patient to take the impact of the operation. "If conventional therapy did not work-Casavola-warned is because the patient has difficulty addressing plan, surgery and just does not solve the problem if not accompanied by a professional with experience tracking. The patient faces new dilemmas, as poor absorption of vitamins and minerals for life ".