Today more and more people seeking a food change and choose the option of vegetarianism and its variants. The pros and cons are important in making a decision.
(Buenos Aires, sick August 2015). Various associations of health, among which they include the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians Association of Canada and Spain, ensure that plans of vegetarian food properly programmed are healthy and nutritionally correct.
Associations agree that these plans provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of diseases, especially metabolic as obesity, Diabetes, insulin resistance, hypertension, and all risk factors associated with them.
But when it comes to vegetarians must take into account the different classifications. Vegans are people who only consume vegetable products (vegetables, fruits, seeds, cereals and vegetable oils). The ovo vegetarians consume the above as eggs. Add the milk and derivatives ovolactovegetarianos. Frutívoros only take the fruits of plants and seeds. The only consume raw food raw plant products.
Nowadays, There are as many people and vegan ovolactovegetarianas, así as flexivegetarianas, that occasionally typically consume fish or a portion of white or red meat.
When assessing whether such food covers the nutritional needs, we must emphasize that the most critical nutrients are iron and vitamin B12.
"The only vegetarian has iron intake from dairy, eggs and some vegetables, but this is of very low absorption while the available animal food iron absorption is high. La vitamina B12 (required for DNA synthesis and regulation of red blood cells) It is unique in the animal kingdom and vegetables not provide ", explains Sandra Villarreal, nutritionist at the Posada del Qenti.
There are other vitamins and nutrients to which attention in these types of food:
- El football is a mineral very available in vegetarian diets, although absorption is diminished by some common substances in their diets. So you have to make a proper balance.
- Zinc It is limited by high amounts of fibers in these diets, animal protein instead favors the absorption of the same.
- La vitamina D nutrient is a characteristic of the animal kingdom, but also it incorporated through exposure to sunlight.
- La vitamina A It is present from the high intake of fruits and vegetables, meeting the needs and compensating for the lack of retinol or vitamin A Animal.
- Proteins can be easily supplemented from legumes (soybeans and soy products, lentils and peas), eggs and dairy.
Among the biggest benefits, vegetarian children and adolescents have low cholesterol intake, saturated and total fat for its high consumption of fruits, vegetables and fiber. The breast milk of vegetarian mothers is nutritionally adequate and similar to that of non-vegetarian mothers. Also, the ovolactovegetarianos children show similar growth to their non-vegetarian peers.
"Based on these criteria, We not dismiss those who decide to change their diet to vegetarianism, provided that a proper plan is conducted each person and guided by health professionals ", Villarreal concludes.