The World Health Organization, recommends consuming 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. They come in different colors and each advertises different nutritional riches. Vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals in these foods are essential for the proper development and functioning of the body. Five reasons to eat five servings.
- Vit. C present mainly in citrus fruits such as kiwi, orange, grapefruit, lemon and vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage; It has a high antioxidant power, It contributes to the absorption of iron from plant foods and helps prevent infection.
- The orange carrot, squash and dark green spinach, chard and broccoli indicating amounts of beta-carotene, precursor of Vit. A, essential for skin health, hair, teeth and eyes; so the Lives. E is present, greater amount, in vegetable oils, We can also be found in foods such as avocado, broccoli and spinach; great ally of our skin as it helps to reduce the action caused by free radicals.
- Regarding minerals stands potassium, mineral that helps regulate the water balance in the body and maintain blood pressure within normal values, It is found mainly in the banana, orange, kiwi, chicory, chard and melon. Also magnesium is an important mineral for energy use, and is found in green leafy vegetables.
- Phytochemicals are abundant in fruits and vegetables, They have high antioxidant power and are responsible for the color of these foods.
- Along with whole grains, these foods are those that have more fiber, nutrient essential for the proper functioning of the intestine. Consuming fiber in every meal, It helps reduce the absorption of glucose and serum cholesterol levels.
María Soledad Boca
Lic. Nutrition – M.P 1998
La Posada del Qenti