The glycemic index (ig) is a value assigned to foods based on their effects on postprandial blood glucose levels, prescription in other words ig appreciates the extent to which carbohydrate-containing foods raise blood glucose.
Foods that are used to compare glucose and white bread, as these quickly and at high levels in blood glucose rise. Foods rich in carbohydrates, that are rapidly digested and release glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high ig, instead which little by little digested releasing glucose into the bloodstream slowly have a low ig.
There are several factors that influence the ig, some of them are;
- Fiber: As a rule ( but not always ) the fiber tends to slow digestion, is why it is recommended to consume fiber at every meal, breakfast and snack can be incorporated through whole grains at lunch and dinner and always accompanying the protein or carbohydrate with vegetables.
- Preparation: The time in which they were cooked food also influences the ig, eg al dente noodles have a lower than the more ig cooked noodles, like the baked potato shell compared to the mashed potatoes in which the ig is much higher.
- Maturity and storage time: in the case of the higher the more mature fruit is your ig. It should also take into account the development, fruit juices are digested faster than if you eat the whole fruit, making their ig is higher.
Other factors to consider and no less important are; food variety, the presence or absence of other nutrients and combination with other foods, An example of the latter is the union at one meal of a food with low ig ig another high which helps to balance the effect on blood glucose level.
Note that not only the amount but the type of carbs have an effect on blood glucose level, whereby the portion control is still a major element to consider.
Know and use the ig and factors in the influence is a good resource to improve control of blood glucose, while emphasizing that there is no single food plan, work in all diabetics alike, ideally this plan suits the habits and lifestyle of the person; considering that the mainstays of treatment of this disease are physical exercise, a balanced diet, and adequate medication indicated.
Lic. María Soledad Del Boca
Area of Nutrition – La Posada del Qenti
The balanced diet, visit this along with education and exercise, order are the mainstays of treatment of diabetes.
Physical activity is useful and necessary for everyone, but especially for the diabetic patient, where it should be part of the mechanisms of disease control. We can not talk about good control of this disease if the person does not enter into his life physical activity.
The benefits of exercise in diabetes generate:
- Slowing and / or stabilization of blood glucose levels during and after exercise.
- Decreased insulin requirements to improve the sensitivity.
- Increased energy expenditure.
- Improves the lipid profile.
- It reduces cardiovascular risk factors.
- Produce sense of wellbeing.
- Help promote social integration.
As we see, the benefits of regular physical activity are many and varied, but before the exercise must take a number of precautions:
- It is necessary to assess as glucose before starting the exercise, because the risk of hypoglycemia is always present.
- Consider the type of exercise to perform, the eventual need for insulin and prior feeding.
- In the case of needing insulin, the same shall be applied, pre-exercise, outside the area that will be activated during this. For example in the arms if you will run or abdomen if swimming, so that its absorption is not affected by local vasodilation.
- The exercise allows blood sugar drops, when practiced, impacting up 12-24 hours after having made.
- Use cotton socks (white), to prevent injury or clear them quickly.
- Wear comfortable shoes that fit well and is designed for the activity you will be doing.
- After exercising, Check your feet for cuts to see, sores, bumps or redness.
- If a problem occurs in the feet, consult a physician.
Besides taking precautions need to know that the activity can also elicit adverse effects on metabolic control. Therefore we can mention:
- Early onset possibility of hypoglycemia and / or delayed until 24 hours after practice.
- Exercise-induced hyperglycemia: diabetic child in response to intense and unusual exercise is abnormal and may lead to hyperglycaemia.
- Hyperglycemia and ketosis, especially in children with poorly controlled or insulin deficiency.
These effects are minimized if one takes into account the previous point prevention.
Types recommended for people with diabetes practice exercises are low resistance (aerobics) because peripheral blood circulation favor, improving oxygenation and nutrition of all cells. Example; walk, bicycle, swimming, etc..
There are recommended exercises high strength (anaeróbica) because the decrease in tissue oxygenation activity and blood pressure increase. Examples: bodybuilding, weightlifting, etc.. And those in which a fade for a decline in blood glucose could be fatal as motorsport, high altitude mountaineering, skydiving or windsurfing. Should be ruled (by the associated risk of vascular injury) with violent sports like karate and repeated trauma, taekwondo boxing.
To make the exercise more effective and better adaptation of the organism should be:
- Journal on the alternate days.
- Regular ie: at the same time, intensity and duration.
- Aerobic, should not reach the exhaustion.
- It should be challenging and fun (is best achieved in the group individually).
If you practice any kind of unusual exercise, you should follow a few tips:
- It's good to make the sport company.
- It is desirable to perform sports that establish duration and intensity to assess energy expenditure and to modify treatment.
- Every diabetic should learn to know the changes of blood glucose with certain exercises and thus able to adjust treatment. Modification of insulin and intake each year must be controlled. This is perfect in practice, so that adaptation to the activity should be gradual and incremental.
- Exercise should be done preferably after food intake (carbohydrates), which are the main source of energy of our muscles.
This is an overview, but each person must learn to know yourself and evaluate by the medical team not only the particular needs, but also the ideal activity to achieve the combination of health, scatter joy and so necessary in anyone.
Tuna Soufflé with Pink Sauce
Performance: 8-10 Lots
- 1 CDA olive oil
- 4 cdas. chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 cda. chopped parsley
- 2 cdas. flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cans 170 g of tuna in water (drained and flaked)
- 2 buds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 egg whites until stiff
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon starch
- 2 skinless tomatoes processed seeds
- 1 teaspoon of white cheese
In a skillet add 1 spoon of olive oil and cook the onion, viagra garlic and parsley 2 minutes. Add flour and mix until it forms a paste. Add skim milk and beat with rapid movements to avoid lumps. Boil over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
Add tuna, visit web yolks, this site salt and pepper, mix well and then add the egg whites with outflanking.
Pour this mixture into a mold of clay moistened with vegetable spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted, comes out clean. Remove from oven and reserve.
Apart, for the sauce, tsp dissolve the starch in the cup of milk, add tomato processing and cooking until thickened.
Serve this sauce accompanied souffle.
One serving provides:
- Carbohydrates: 16 gr.
- Proteins: 19 gr.
- Fats: 8 gr.
- Calories: 218 cal.
Tuna contains omega 3 that helps lower serum cholesterol levels and promotes neural development of the fetus in pregnant women. We recommend eating 3 fish twice a week as part of a healthy diet.
Fish sauce with basil
Performance: 6 Lots
- 6 white fish fillets
- Juice 2 lime
- 6 tablespoons of oat bran
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cup skim milk
- ½ small onion
- 1 clove
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoons white cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Nuez al nutmeg taste
For the bechamel sauce, simmer skim milk, along with the onion and cloves. Cook for 8-10 minutes. In a separate pot, mix flour and cream cheese until creamy paste. Remove the onion and cloves in milk and add to the above prepared paste, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Mix, simmer for 8 minutes and strain the sauce.
Apart, season the fillets with oat bran and juice of two lemons. Cook the steaks in a pan with cooking spray moistened until golden brown on both sides. Add the bechamel sauce, mustard, basil and garlic, mix well and cook for five minutes or until fish fillets are cooked.
One Serving Provides:
- Carbohydrates: 33 gr.
- Proteins: 37 gr.
- Fats: 11 gr.
- Cholesterol: 100 mgr.
- Calories: 350 Cal.
- Vitamins: Folic acid, Lives. E y B 12
Eggs provide protein of high biological value) and different vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, It, D, B2, and Selenium). In addition, egg contains lutein and zeaxanthin, two powerful antioxidants that contribute to eye health and hill, a substance that plays an important role in the development of brain function.
Performance: 4 portions
- 200 grs. of light cream cheese.
- 1 glass of juice narajas.
- 2 teaspoons grated tangerine peel.
- 1 tablespoon powdered sweetener.
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
- 2 egg whites.
- Unflavored gelatin.
- Mandarin orange segments for garnish.
Mix the cream cheese, with juice and tangerine peel, add the sweetener and vanilla essence, Dissolve gelatin in 20 cc. water, mixed with the above preparation and incorporate the egg whites until stiff. Place in bowls.
Postrecito of apple
Performance: 4 portions.
- 2 red apples, peeled and cut into small cubes.
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 1 egg.
- 2 egg whites.
- 2 cups skim milk.
- 2 powdered sweetener packets.
- 1 teaspoon orange zest.
Spray with cooking spray 4 Round baking molds and hand boy diced apples. Beat the egg whites and add milk, sweetener, zest and pour over apples. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes and serve warm.
In recent times in an effort to improve many overweight and obese people undergo various diets in the search for better results. Entre las dietas más usadas últimamente figuran los planes protéicos las cuales se caracterizan por tener un predominio elevado del macro-nutriente proteínas . (more…)
The Popular Detox Diets (abbreviation detoxi-nation = eliminate toxins) that are based on removing certain foods from the diet and consume only liquids, page soups, viagra infusions, shop fruits and organic products, the body eliminates toxins and detoxified. Diets are generally performed between 7 a 30 days in some cases and in others more specific fasts are practiced. Such diets also promote the consumption of laxatives which can cause gastrointestinal disturbances, cardiac and cramps most extreme situations. The aim; slimming and purifying the body quickly. (more…)